Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Thursday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time “An Importunate Friend and a Lesson in Prayer”

Jesus said to his disciples, "Suppose one of you has a friend to whom he goes at midnight and says, ´Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, for a friend of mine has arrived at my house from a journey and I have nothing to offer him,´ and he says in reply from within, ´Do not bother me; the door has already been locked and my children and I are already in bed. I cannot get up to give you anything.´ I tell you, if he does not get up to give him the loaves because of their friendship, he will get up to give him whatever he needs because of his persistence. "And I tell you, ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him?"


Introductory Prayer:Lord, in my prayer I often have to wait for your response. Too often I seek my own interests even to the detriment of my spiritual life. I am still such a novice at prayer and the spiritual life. Grant me your grace to persevere in prayer. May I never doubt your goodness and friendship towards my soul. Fill me with an unbreakable confidence and trust in your loving plan of redemption for me and all of mankind.

Petition:Lord, grant that my prayer may always have the quality of complete and total confidence in you.

1. Purify Our Friendship with Christ in Prayer.

Today’s Gospel passage is one of the three parables Luke records from Christ’s public ministry concerning prayer. The passage of the “importunate friend” invites us to persistent prayer. Friends can usually ask other friends for special favors especially if there is an urgent need. Helpfulness in time of need is one proof of a loyal friend. Hopefully we’ve all had experiences of others calling on us in their time of need. This would be a sign that they consider us their true friends. Our Lord wants to be our true friend. But all too often our hearts aren’t set on our friendship with Christ, and we allow other loves and interest that aren’t of Christ to enter into the sanctuary of our heart. How do I know God has answered my prayers? Is it because I get what I want or is it because I get what God thinks is best for me? In my prayer am I ready to open my heart and life to greater things, higher ideals, a deeper love?

2. Perseverance in Prayer.

In this parable Our Lord makes it clear that if the friendship is not strong enough to answer the request of a friend, persistence will. Our Lord wants us to fight against all temptations of doubt and lack of trust when our prayers seem unanswered. We should never doubt God’s friendship towards us. Have we forgotten that we are praying to the omnipotent God? In him all things are possible! If it seems we are not getting what we want, these trials can serve Our Lord in maturing our faith and getting us to trust more in his loving providence. Remember the words of Scripture: “My child, when you come to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for testing” (Sirach 2:1). “Consider the generations of old and see: has anyone trusted in the Lord and been disappointed? Or has anyone persevered in the fear of the Lord and been forsaken? Or has anyone called upon him and been neglected?” (Sirach 2:10). Remain hopeful and persevere in prayer!

3. God’s Goodness is Always Beyond Our Expectations.

We put God’s goodness on trial when we are called on to wait for Our Lord. We trust so much in our own goodness and so little in God’s! Do we forget so easily how Christ suffered for our redemption? Why cannot we then endure even a slight inconvenience out of faith in Christ’s goodness? For the one who trusts in the Lord in the time of trial Our Lord promises, “How much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (Luke 11:13). The Father’s greatest gifts are yet to come. And his greatest gift is his very divine life. Did not Our Lord commend Solomon for asking for wisdom rather than material goods? (1 Kings 3:5-14). Did not Christ promise to send the Paraclete to teach us all things? (John 14:25-27; 15:26; 16:7-15). We should seek the Kingdom of God first, persevering in our prayer until Our Lord brings it to fulfillment. With his wisdom and love God answers all prayers.

Dialogue with Christ: Oh Lord it is you who say to me, “Ask and you will receive; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives; and the one who seeks, finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.” Grant me confidence in your words, for you countlessly back them up with mighty signs of love and predilection in my life. If I must wait on your response to my prayer, purify me of selfishness that keeps me from trusting you and your supreme goodness. Help me to be patient in trials and comfort those who suffer until you come in your glory to remove every tear and sadness from our hearts.

Resolution: I will pray the rosary of Our Lady today with special fervor, recollection and confidence in her intercessory power for the needs of world peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment