Thursday, October 5, 2017

Friday of the Twenty-sixth Week in Ordinary Time “One Life to Live”

Jesus said to the Pharisees: "There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day. And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man´s table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores. When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried, and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he cried out, ´Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.´ Abraham replied, ´My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented. Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.´ He said, ´Then I beg you, father, send him to my father´s house, for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.´ But Abraham replied, ´They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.´ He said, ´Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.´ Then Abraham said, ´If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.´"


Introductory Prayer:Lord Jesus Christ, thank you for these moments of prayer. Thank you for this opportunity to enter into dialogue with you, making you the priority of my day and week. Help me be a more faithful follower and effective instrument in order to reflect your love to all my brothers and sisters.

Petition:Lord, grant me the grace to realize how fleeting life on earth really is. Please help me to see that my time for serving you is limited and that you have given me gifts in order to be your apostle.

1. Poor Lazarus. The figure of Lazarus reminds us of God’s preferential love for the poor, especially the poor of heart. Indeed God had mercy on Lazarus who, upon his death, was carried to the “bosom of Abraham.” In the context of this passage, though, God’s love for Lazarus calls each one of us to ask ourselves whether we practice a similar love. It is so easy to think that what we have is due to some merit on our part and that those less fortunate than ourselves are undeserving of those same gifts. The Holy Spirit wants to remind us that everything we possess is from God. Furthermore, we have received it for a purpose: to serve others, especially by helping to bring them closer to God. Do I recognize the poor Lazarus in anyone that I meet during a typical day?

2. The Rich Man. The rich man in this passage did not realize what his life and mission were all about. Blinded by material goods, he put all of his hope in the good things of this world and totally missed the fact that God expected much more from him. Most tragically, he completely failed to take notice of anyone but himself. He was so accustomed to being served by others that he even maintained this attitude in the afterlife: “Father Abraham…send Lazarus to dip his finger in water and cool my tongue.” Instead of forgetting about himself, the self-centeredness of the rich man caused him to forget about those around him. How easy it is to be satisfied with the things of this world and to forget about our lofty mission as Christ’s apostles!

3. One Life to Live. The rich man realizes too late that we have one life to live and one chance to live it. If only he could have warned his brothers about the dangers of living a selfish life! If only he could go back to tell them! If only someone could offer a credible witness on earth so that they might believe that life is so much more than our time on earth! The lesson of this gospel is that we must live only for God and others; a selfish life satisfies neither us nor God. It is an invitation for each of us to live all of the implications of our vocation as Catholic Christians. We must be apostles of Christ’s kingdom. In the words of Fr Marcial Maciel: “You must be convinced of this truth: Without your faithful, constant cooperation Christ cannot accomplish what he intends to do with you. You are Christ’s hands, feet, eyes, mind and heart. You are the channels and means he will use to give himself to humanity.... What a great honor our good Jesus has given you, but what a great responsibility he has laid on your shoulders!” (Letter of Father Marcial Maciel, LC, March 23, 1947).

Dialogue with Christ: Lord Jesus, thank you for teaching me through the gospel, for teaching me that life is too short to be spent thinking about myself. You have chosen me not because of any merit of my own, but simply out of your providential love. Help me to see the suffering around me. Never let me be deceived into thinking that my talents are due to some merit of mine. Please, Lord, help me to use my time on earth to be your instrument so that I will never lament losing the opportunity to be an apostle of your kingdom.

Resolution: Lord Jesus Christ, I promise today to seize at least one opportunity to be an apostle by overcoming selfishness and reflecting your love to someone in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment