Monday, October 8, 2012

Tuesday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Jesus entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him. She had a sister named Mary who sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak. Martha, burdened with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me." The Lord said to her in reply, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." (Luke 10: 38-42)
 
Introductory Prayer:I come to sit at your feet this morning, Jesus. This is not easy for me. I need to believe with a stronger faith that I am in the presence of my Savior and friend. I hope in you alone, giver of all gifts, especially of peace and happiness – both temporal and eternal. I attune my sight, my hearing and my heart to focus all my being on you, to attempt to love you above all else.
Petition:Speak, Lord, your servant is listening. Let me hear your voice.
 
1. Beside the Lord Nothing gives me a greater sense of security and peace than being in the presence of a person who puts me at ease and makes me feel accepted and loved. This, too, is a marvelous realization: God is always present, if only I invite him to be with me and I make myself present to him. The Gospel tells me that Mary “sat beside the Lord at his feet.” Sitting beside him signifies closeness and intimacy – friendship. Sitting at his feet signifies his dignity and stature – he is my Lord and my God. I need this intimacy with Jesus. I need to recognize who he is.
 
2. Much Burdened There is nothing wrong with being busy, especially when it is in the service of others. What is unhealthy is to be burdened by what I do. When this happens, the focus is on me and how I feel, not on those whom I serve. Being close to Jesus permits me to put everything into perspective. He is the center, and all I do is for him. This purifies my intention and makes me a humble servant of all for the sake of Jesus. Then my yoke is easy and my burden light.
 
3. Only One Thing Needed God is simple, and all complications come from me. God’s love is truly all that I need. Jesus gives the assurance that once I have opted for that love, which is the better part, it will not be taken from me. He will protect and nurture it, as long as I strive to love in return. Having that love will not make me idle, but will fill me with a new zeal for the duties of my state in life, since God’s love fills the soul with enthusiasm.
 
Conversation with Christ:Jesus, I have tried to be present beside you, at your feet, during this time of prayer. All I want to receive is you, your love. I know that if that’s all I seek, all other good things will be given to me besides.
 
Resolution:Today, I will raise my heart to Christ, offering him what I have to do, and remember that I possess him, who alone is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment