Friday, June 15, 2012

Memorial of The Immaculate Heart of Mary


Each year his parents went to Jerusalem for the feast of Passover, and when he was twelve years old, they went up according to festival custom. After they had completed its days, as they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, but his parents did not know it. Thinking that he was in the caravan, they journeyed for a day and looked for him among their relatives and acquaintances, but not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem to look for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions, and all who heard him were astounded at his understanding and his answers. When his parents saw him, they were astonished, and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety." And he said to them, "Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father´s house?" But they did not understand what he said to them. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart. (Luke 2: 41-51)
Introductory Prayer: Mother Mary, what an inspiring example of faith you gave me by your constant “yes” to whatever God asked of you. Mother, thank you for your witness of hope at the foot of the cross when all were left hopeless. Mother, give me a generous heart so as to love your Son like you did.
Petition: Mary, my Mother, make my heart more like yours.
1. A Mother’s Love What do I remember most about my mother’s love? Caring for me when sick, being my number one fan, taking me shopping, listening to my prayers at night, packing my lunch for school and cutting the crusts off the bread, providing for so many hidden needs…? To summarize we could say it was my mother’s love. A mother’s love is a blessing and, no matter where you go, you take it with you.
2. The Glories of Mary With what intensity did Mary’s heart love her son! Her greatest anguish was to lose her boy in Jerusalem and her son on Calvary – “Your father and I have been looking for you with great anxiety” (Luke 2:48). And her greatest joy was to find him able-bodied and healthy in the Temple and alive and risen after the Resurrection. In today’s feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, let us imitate our heavenly Mother by fighting to keep Christ alive in our hearts and the hearts of our families, friends, and acquaintances.
3. The Zeal of Mary A good son or daughter does not only tell his Mom he loves her, but also begins to imitate her virtues. One of Mary’s great virtues is her zeal to bring all souls to know and love her son Christ. Today, let us imitate Mary by bringing Christ to a friend, a child who has fallen away from the faith, or the stranger I come across at the store. Thus we will bring one more soul to the Father’s house.
Conversation with Christ: Thank you, Lord Jesus, for the great gift of Mary. When you were dying on the cross and had nothing left to give, you thought of our need of a mother on our spiritual journey to heaven. I know I am represented in your apostle John when you said, “Behold your Mother”. Lord Jesus, help me to be a faithful son of Mary as you were.
Resolution: Today, I will invite family members or friends to pray a Rosary with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment