Thursday, November 17, 2011

Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ The King

Saint Paul offers us a perspective about the mystery of Jesus coming as our King. His kingdom will appear only at the end of the world. Our future then has a very clear goal and direction given to us from history.  It is not only what Ecclesiastes 1:9 said: “There is nothing new under the sun”...Christ gives understanding and meaning to history. He is the goal and without Him personally or collectively, everything is just a sum of desires that can't satisfy.

In 1 Cor. 15:20-26, 28, Paul presents  the whole universe submitted to Christ. The perspective and direction is precisely this one: the submission of everything to Christ. If this is true, we can prepare and anticipate that goal. Even though there is no specific day, we can anticipate it making Christ reign in our hearts and in other hearts as well.


The words of Jesus that day will be “'Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world” or “'Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels” (Mt 25:31-46) and if we see and think more on those words, they are  the mirrors of our actions. The judgment of Jesus is going to be the result of the kind of life that we all had.

Christ as we see is hidden in the poor or in other words, poverty is the way in which Christ wants to reveal Himself. This is nothing new for the one that has read the gospel. In poverty grace is revealed through the limit of our efforts and what we want and can do Poverty is not a decoration or caprice of Christ. It is a unique condition where we  discover the love that exists and that we cannot control: a love that  has the power to own our hearts


Lord, let me see you in those who come to me in their need. Open my eyes with faith and love to reach out to all who come to me, offering them what I would offer you. In this, let me find the path that leads to you, hearing you call, “come, blessed of my Father, the Kingdom is prepared for you.”


Sacred Heart of Jesus, you are king of my heart; by the love you have shown me, you teach me how to live not for myself, but for others. Let my motive in doing these acts of charity not be out of fear of punishment or desire for reward, but rather let me act out of love for you. Let me respond to the love you have shown me. You are always a faithful friend to me; let me be a faithful friend to you in every person I meet today.

No comments:

Post a Comment