Friday, September 29, 2017

Memorial of Saint Jerome, Priest and Doctor of the Church “Stumbling Block”

At a time when all were amazed at his every deed, Jesus said to his disciples, “Pay attention to what I am telling you. The Son of Man is to be handed over to men." But they did not understand this saying; its meaning was hidden from them so that they should not understand it, and they were afraid to ask him about this saying.


Introductory Prayer:"O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water … My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me” (Psalm 63:1,8). When we were lost in sin you came to bring your mercy and goodness. Come now my God to remind me of all your presence means, to remember the misery you have saved me from. Help me to be astonished by your works -- most astonished at the works you do deep in my heart and soul. Seeing all you do makes it easier for me to hope in the good things you promise. Let me constantly grow in faith in your word. Help me hope in your promise. Grant that I may love as you love.

Petition:Your plan is always better Lord. Help me to remember this even when I don’t understand.

1. A Contradiction. 

The words are clear enough, yet the apostles struggle to understand. It is impossible that their Master could be betrayed. He who had conquered devils, how could he be a prisoner? He who brought the dead back to life … it was impossible, unfathomable. Until he explained himself more clearly there was no more to be said. The apostles were troubled and afraid, but did not ask. Certainly he would soon explain it to them.

2. Light of Faith. 

“For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God” (1 Corinthians 1:22-24). The blind stumble because they don’t see. Placed in the dark we are all equally blind. He who makes the light shine in the darkness, as seen in the account of creation, is also able to bring light to our spiritual darkness. He makes us see what is otherwise beyond us. What the disciples need when Jesus speaks of his coming passion and death is not more explanation but faith. Faith is God’s gift enabling us to believe, without doubting, all that He has revealed to us. And do we ever need it! We demand explanations when we should be asking for stronger faith.

3. He Keeps His Word. 

The Lord keeps faith. He fulfills all his promises. All that is promised in the Old Covenant is perfectly fulfilled in Jesus Christ. John the Baptist sent messengers asking, “Are you the one?” Jesus replied, "Go back and report to John what you hear and see: the blind recover their sight, cripples walk, lepers are cured, the deaf hear, dead men are raised to life, and the poor have the good news preached to them. Blest is the man who finds no stumbling block in me" (Matthew 11:4-6). Jesus is faithful, and yet faith is never easy for us, especially when God’s plans run counter to our own. This is true for us, true for the disciples, true even for Mary: “They did not grasp what was said to them” (Luke 2:50). In Mary’s case, however, incomprehension leads her to reflect and rely on God’s unfailing Word: "Thus the Blessed Virgin advanced in her pilgrimage of faith, and loyally persevered in her union with her Son unto the cross" (Lumen Gentium, 58). The disciples’ incomprehension too, will eventually lead them to reflect and rely on God. How about our incomprehension, as we face the suffering of this life? Our lives, like Mary’s and the disciples’, needs to progress day by day in faith and understanding.

Dialogue with Christ: Jesus, my Lord and my God, you accompany me every step of the way. Thank you. You answer every one of my needs. You are faithful to every promise. When I am tempted to doubt remind me of your love, especially in your suffering upon the cross for me. I who am so weak would have chosen an easier path, while you spared nothing in giving me your goodness and love. Help me to believe and actively accept your will in my life. Help me to embrace even the cross with the love you teach me. And let Mary, the Mother you gave me at the foot of the cross, accompany me along God´s mysterious path!

Resolution: Today, I will pray a decade of the rosary with family or friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment