Friday, January 6, 2017

Christmas Weekday - Do Whatever He Tells You


On the third day there was a wedding in Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine." (And) Jesus said to her, "Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come." His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you." Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told them, "Fill the jars with water." So they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, "Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." So they took it. And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom and said to him, "Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now." Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.


Introductory Prayer:  Lord, I believe that before you left this earth you gave me the Eucharist for my food and Mary for my mother. I believe in your Real Presence and choose to receive you reverently and often. I trust that Mary will be there for me and accompany me in whatever I need. I love you, Lord, for giving me a mother who is so concerned about me that she is willing to do whatever is necessary to help me in my mission and vocation.


Petition:  Help me, Lord, to foster a tender and personal devotion to Our Lady.


1. “They Have No Wine.”    A good mother is always on the watch to make sure that all is well, and Mary is no exception. Before anyone can react, she recognizes that the newlyweds are out of wine. They are talking among themselves, and they are in a panic. She can do something about it, so she acts. She believes in the power of her son. Since he is the Son of God, he can solve the problem. Mary does not let the fact that she is a guest keep her from working. She acts on faith. She does not wait for someone to tell her to do something. She intervenes. We need to believe like Mary and be willing to take that bold step into the unknown, confident in a God we do not see.


2. “My Hour Has Not Yet Come.”    Christ knows his mission. He is called to go to the cross and suffer for our sins. Yet he has not begun his public life. To perform a miracle now would be to anticipate his hour – to accelerate his mission to suffer for our sins. The time for him to accept the cross has not yet come. But Mary knows that something must be done. If she does not intercede, it could be a “disaster.”  At the time of Our Lord, wedding feasts lasted for a week. What would become of the wedding feast if there was no more wine? Mary knows this. She hears the newlyweds’ cries and worries, and she brings them to her son, knowing that he can do something. She is certain that he will calm the fears of the newlyweds and remedy the situation. Do I have a deep conviction that Mary watches over us and constantly intercedes with Our Lord for our sake?


3. “A Son Will Never Say No to His Mother.”    “This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfillment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. By her maternal charity, she cares for the brethren of her Son, who still journey on earth surrounded by dangers and difficulties, until they are led into their blessed home. Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix. This, however, is so understood that it neither takes away anything from nor adds anything to the dignity and efficacy of Christ the one Mediator” (Vatican Council II, Lumen gentium, 62). Mary understood her mission and vocation. She intercedes for us constantly, is willing to help us, and wants to bring our petitions to her Son so that he can help us with whatever we need of him. Do I have a filial relationship with Mary, my Mother, and do I turn to her confidently with my concerns and needs?


Conversation with Christ: Lord, I trust that you will give me the grace to imitate Mary. You are willing and ready to help me. You want the best for me, and you desire very much to assist me. Help me to learn from Mary’s example of acting in faith so that I, too, may be a person of faith like her. Help me to turn to her often so that she can bring me closer to you.


Resolution:  I will pray to our Blessed Mother asking for greater faith and confiding myself to her tender care.

No comments:

Post a Comment