Friday, November 20, 2015

The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary "Mary Never Said No to God"

While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers were standing outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him, "Look, your mother and your brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you. "But to the one who had told him this, Jesus replied, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" And pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." 

Introductory Prayer: Mary, thank you for being my mother and the model of Christian perfection, I look forward to contemplating your virtues today and seeing how I can put them into practice in my life.

Petition: Mary, help me to imitate your Fiat in all of the daily demands of God’s will on my life.

1. Mary’s Fiat
From the moment of Mary’s birth until the moment of her Assumption into heaven, her only aspiration was to fulfill God’s most holy will. Mary’s Presentation in the Temple was in a sense the official offering of her will to God. Her personal plans, her desires, preferences, or ambitions always fell subordinate to God’s plan for her life. She truly understood her role in the plan of salvation and did not want to become in any way an obstacle to that plan. What a beautiful example of humility and docility to God’s plan!

2. Brothers and Sisters in Christ
"Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." What peace and what interior joy it should give us to know that we are truly brothers and sisters in Christ! But this special title and privilege also carries with it a special responsibility. As the saying goes, “There are no roses without thorns” and certainly without this clear and unequivocal adherence to God’s will in our lives, there can be no intimacy with Christ. There are no short cuts or escape routes, only God’s will. Mary is honored to have the title “Mother most sorrowful,” yet as a fruit of her docility, she is also “Mother most joyful.”  

3. Discovering God’s Will
Although we all would like to imitate Mary in her faithful following of God’s will, we often do not know how to discern God’s will for us. Three very helpful means are:

1.) Spiritual Direction: find a holy spiritual director who can serve as an intermediary between you and the Holy Spirit.

2.) Prayer and the Sacraments: a life of grace allows you to more easily perceive the inspirations of the Holy Spirit and gives you the strength and enthusiasm to joyfully embrace the divine plan.

3.) Sacrifice: Christ has told as that if we wish to be his disciples, we must take up the cross. We have to learn to love until it hurts.

Dialogue with Christ: Christ, thank you for giving me your own mother, such a wonderful mother and a faithful guide for my own growth in holiness.

Resolution: I will try to apply those three points listed above as a means to discern the will of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment