Saturday, March 9, 2013

Fourth Sunday of Lent (Cycle C)


The tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to listen to him, but the Pharisees and scribes began to complain, saying, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." So to them he addressed this parable. Then he said, "A man had two sons, and the younger son said to his father, ´Father, give me the share of your estate that should come to me.´ So the father divided the property between them. After a few days, the younger son collected all his belongings and set off to a distant country where he squandered his inheritance on a life of dissipation. When he had freely spent everything, a severe famine struck that country, and he found himself in dire need. So he hired himself out to one of the local citizens who sent him to his farm to tend the swine. And he longed to eat his fill of the pods on which the swine fed, but nobody gave him any. Coming to his senses he thought, ´How many of my father´s hired workers have more than enough food to eat, but here am I, dying from hunger. I shall get up and go to my father and I shall say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I no longer deserve to be called your son; treat me as you would treat one of your hired workers."´ So he got up and went back to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him, and was filled with compassion. He ran to his son, embraced him and kissed him. His son said to him, ´Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you; I no longer deserve to be called your son.´ But his father ordered his servants, ´Quickly bring the finest robe and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Take the fattened calf and slaughter it. Then let us celebrate with a feast, because this son of mine was dead, and has come to life again; he was lost, and has been found.´ Then the celebration began. Now the older son had been out in the field and, on his way back, as he neared the house, he heard the sound of music and dancing. He called one of the servants and asked what this might mean. The servant said to him, ´Your brother has returned and your father has slaughtered the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.´ He became angry, and when he refused to enter the house, his father came out and pleaded with him. He said to his father in reply, ´Look, all these years I served you and not once did I disobey your orders; yet you never gave me even a young goat to feast on with my friends. But when your son returns who swallowed up your property with prostitutes, for him you slaughter the fattened calf.´ He said to him, ´My son, you are here with me always; everything I have is yours. But now we must celebrate and rejoice, because your brother was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.´"

Introductory Prayer: Jesus, I renew my lively hope, firm faith and passionate love for you in this meditation. I want to thank you for this opportunity to encounter you and spend some time with you.

Petition: O Lord, open my heart to your loving forgiveness.

1. On the Receiving End The “lenient” mercy of the father in this parable is scandalous. The son has cast his inheritance to the four winds without the least hint of remorse or concern for the consequences. Yet, he forgives his son without even the slightest taint of reproach. The father’s visible outpouring of forgiveness hinges on a constant and patient benevolence. He shows his son forgiveness in word and thought. When seen solely through human eyes, this attitude is incomprehensible. However, this is God the Father’s response to the repentant sinner. This is how God treats us in confession. How marvelous it is for us that we are on the receiving end.

2. An Unbelievable Outpouring of Mercy The father stayed glued to the window for countless days, unwaveringly expecting the return of his lost son. The son must have thought that he was “in for it” as he slowly made his way up that all-too-familiar footpath. Ordinarily, a father would have prepared a lengthy, scolding speech. In this parable, however, the father was quick to forgive because his love is boundless. In this parable, Jesus reveals to us the mercy that fills the paternal heart of the Heavenly Father.

3. My Encounter with God’s Mercy As we seek God’s forgiveness this Lent, we don’t have to travel far or long to discover it. The love of God is tangibly available to us in confession. Confession can be as joyful a reception as the tender embrace of the father in today’s Gospel. To make this encounter profound, the Church recommends that we prepare for the sacrament by examining our conscience, arousing in our hearts a true sorrow for the offenses committed, making a proposal to avoid sin in the future, confessing all of our sins, and fulfilling the penance that the priest gives us. In this way, the conversion the Father desires will be deeper. The Lord waits eagerly for our return. Will I meet him at the door of confession?

Conversation with Christ: Heavenly Father, too often I have failed to seek your love and mercy. Keep me close to you, in thick and thin, until we embrace and celebrate our union in heaven. Then my homecoming will be a hundred times more joyful than this prodigal son’s return. Thank you, Jesus, for your tender and merciful heart.

Resolution: I will prepare myself for the reception of the sacrament of reconciliation by doing a thorough examination of my conscience.



No comments:

Post a Comment