Thursday, May 17, 2012

Friday of the Sixth Week of Easter



Amen, amen, I say to you, you will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy. When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived; but when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy that a child has been born into the world. So you also are now in anguish. But I will see you again, and your hearts will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. On that day you will not question me about anything. Amen, amen, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you. (John 16: 20-23)
Introductory Prayer: Jesus, the struggle to remain faithful is with me every day. I am never without your grace. With you I can do all things.
Petition: Lord Jesus, help me to carry my cross with faith.
1. Birth Pains: There are few things as beautiful as a birth of a child. A new born baby represents so much: the power of God the Creator, the fruitfulness of human love, trust in God’s providence to guide our human future. But what intense pain is involved! Jesus does not hold back from his disciples the reality of the anguished moments that lie ahead. But if they persevere, it will seem like a small price to pay for the joy of experiencing Christ’s resurrection.
2. Invincible Joy: What kind of joy does the resurrection bring? The world’s joys are ephemeral; they provide no lasting satisfaction. But the joy that Christ brings us is never ending. Spiritual joy is grounded on the all-powerful action of God. It cannot fade or fail. We need to constantly nourish this joy through prayer and contemplation, for it is a foretaste of heaven.
3. Asking Through Jesus:  “Whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.” Thinking about this spiritual joy reminds us that we need to ask the Father for it. When we ask him for the good things of the spiritual life, we need to do so through Jesus. How could the Father refuse anything like that?
He could never turn down his Son. Let us bring to Jesus all our spiritual needs, trusting that he will obtain from the Father the graces that we most need.
Dialogue with Christ: Lord, I have so many spiritual needs. My laziness and my pride are constant pitfalls. It is difficult to be holy, but with your grace, I know that I can make progress.
Resolution: I will make a special prayer today for a family member that needs spiritual support.

No comments:

Post a Comment